using single gcc compiler

Allan Jude allanjude at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 2 13:22:03 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-02 08:52, Mark Felder wrote:
> On 2014-06-02 07:05, M&S - Krasznai András wrote:
>> Hi
>>

>> I use freebsd-10 as desktop .
>>
>> Compiling the system takes ages, and rather long time is spent in
>> compiling different gcc compiler versions for various ports,
>> e.g.
>> - gcc-4.7.3- required by avidemux;
>> - gcc-4.6.4_1,1: required by opera,operaplugins, gcc, gcc4.8
>> - gcc 4.8.4_xxx: required by rawtherapee
>>

>> Is there a way to specify that I want to use gcc 4.8.4 for all
>> compilations which do not use clang?
>>

> Some ports only work with specific versions of GCC. If you believe a
> specific port should be able to use GCC 4.8.4 I would recommend testing
> it and filing a PR so the port maintainer can confirm and update the port.

GCC_DEFAULT_VERSION is set to 4.6 in ports/Mk/bsd.gcc.mk

Unlike some other default versions, it isn't setup to be able to be
overridden from make.conf

As Mark mentioned, some applications have a requirement for a specific
version of gcc, while others will specify a minimum version (USE_GCC=4.7+)

This is why you end up needing all of those versions. You may be able to
reduce some of the fragmentation by installing the highest version
first, then any app that can use that will, and only those requiring a
specific version will pull those in.

The root issue is that some apps will just refuse to compile on newer
versions of GCC

--
Allan Jude