mkimg used to create gpt image, problem booting

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Sun Aug 24 19:05:21 UTC 2014

On Aug 24, 2014, at 9:59 AM, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 2:11 AM, Andrey V. Elsukov <bu7cher at yandex.ru> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, the problem is in the ptable_gptread() function. I'll commit the fix.
>

> Should mkimg be changed to create a partition table with 128 entries
> by default, to match older versions of FreeBSD which do not have this fix?

Maybe. 128 is the suggested default. It's not a hard lower
limit. Technically speaking, it's perfectly fine to create
just enough entries to fill a single sector. Then again,
code makes all kinds of assumptions or has all kinds of
bugs -- just like the logic in the loader apparently.

By having mkimg create a large table, even if it's knows
up front that it doesn't have to may prevent broken code
from tripping over, bit it surely bloats the image for
no reason.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
marcel at xcllnt.net