libthr and main thread stack size

Konstantin Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 05:28:13 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 04:18:12PM +0400, Ivan A. Kosarev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> According to libthr's thr_init.c (the 9.2 version) init_main_thread()
> allocates s.c. "red zone" below the main stack in order to protect other
> stacks. The size of the main stack is determined by the
> _thr_stack_initial variable that is declared extern though it doesn't
> seem it can be changed. The value of the variable is set to 4M on 64-bit
> platforms which is obviously not sufficient for the most of real programs.
>
> Can anyone please confirm that there is no way to increase the stack
> size for the main thread and thus any program linked against libthr has
> only a few megabytes of stack memory for its main thread--whatever the
> system stack size (ulimit -s) is set to?

Yes, there is no way to change the main thread stack clamping.
Could you provide a reasonable use case for the 4MB stack ?

Anyway, I somewhat sympathize to the idea to stop clamping the main
thread stack, and to not reuse it for other threads stack carving.
This also means that non-main threads stack allocator should stop
tracking the explicit location for the stacks and rely on vm mmap(2)
base selection instead.

I do not know the motivations why the current scheme of stacks allocation
was chosen.  The changes do not look too involved.