panic: aatpic_assign_cpu: bad cookie [Was: Build machine OK; laptop panics @r269515]

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 6 03:49:56 UTC 2014

On Aug 5, 2014, at 2:29 PM, Michael Butler <imb at protected-networks.net> wrote:

> On 08/05/14 16:56, Michael Butler wrote:
>> On 08/05/14 16:02, John Baldwin wrote:
>>
>>> My guess is that the recent Xen changes tickled something.
>>
>> I can confirm this on a kernel which is otherwise up to date ..
>>
>> FreeBSD toshi.auburn.protected-networks.net 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD
>> 11.0-CURRENT #2 r269608M: Tue Aug  5 16:48:12 EDT 2014
>>
>> I backed out all of SVN r269507 through r269515.
>>
>> Now working ..
>
> [ .. snip .. ]
>
>> Now to see if it's related to the other machine's disk woes (it's a
>> single-core device),
>
> And it fixes the inability to probe disks on my single-core machine :-)

It looks like the MADT code to probe the I/O APICs isn't working so it's trying to fall back to using the ATPIC while using SMP (which doesn't work).  I know it's a pain on a laptop, but if it is at all possible to capture either a verbose or non-verbose dmesg that would really help narrow it down.

Also, if anyone can try reverting just the MADT-related changes in the recent Xen changes to see if you can narrow down which exact one triggers the panic that would be really helpful.

--
John Baldwin