Build machine OK; laptop panics @r269515

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Mon Aug 4 19:48:02 UTC 2014

I held off until the build machine was able to build & (try to boot)
head; unfortunately for me, it had no problems:

FreeBSD freebeast.catwhisker.org 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #1571
r269515M/269515:1100028: Mon Aug  4 12:14:39 PDT 2014
root at freebeast.catwhisker.org:/common/S4/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

The laptop -- also i386, with a copy of the same sources (though kernel
config mostly includes GENERIC, turns off a bunch of stuff I don't ever
expect to have on a laptop, and enables IPFW in default-deny mode) --
tried to boot after building head @r269515... and that process
terminated quickly: reported uptime was 3 secnds.

I was unable to get a crash dump, and I only recorded the offsets in the
backtrace (no arguments; sorry -- I was expecting the build machine to
allow me to investigate on a machine with a serial console):

SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
panic: aatpic_assign_cpu: bad cookie
cpuid=0
atpic_assign_cpu(...) at atpic_assign_cpu+0x1a/frame 0xc2820d0c
intr_shuffle_irqs(...) at intr_shuffle_irqs+0x97/frame 0xc2820d30
mi_startup(...) at mi_startup+0xe7/frame 0xc2820d58
begin(...) at begin+0x2c
db>

So... what can I do to help figure out what went wrong?  As noted, I
have no serial console on the laptop, and while I have captured crash
dumps in the past, I'm guessing that at the point the above happens, the
machine has yet to obtain a clue about where it might put a dump if one
were created.

(No problems with stable/9 (@r269499) or stable/10 (@r269498) on the
same hardware.)

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Taliban: Evil cowards with guns afraid of truth from a 14-year old girl.