domain_add(xxx) after domainfinalize...

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Sat Aug 2 20:01:51 UTC 2014

Svatopluk Kraus wrote this message on Sat, Aug 02, 2014 at 21:27 +0200:
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 8:32 PM, John-Mark Gurney <jmg at funkthat.com> wrote:
>
> > Svatopluk Kraus wrote this message on Sat, Aug 02, 2014 at 15:20 +0200:
> > > Well, I did not look at network stack for long time, so the following
> > > things could be obsolete now, but at least:
> > >
> > > (1) There is some room left in mbuf header on its allocation, so
> > protocols
> > > (link) headers can be added in the front of data without need of
> > > reallocation or data copying. The size of the room is evaluated from all
> > > domains at boot time.
> > >
> > > (2) All network address masks are shared among domains and protocols in
> > > mask radix tree. The tree is created with particular key size, which is
> > > again evaluated from all domains as maximal size of all known addresses.
> > >
> > > So, if new domain added after these evaluations does not break both them
> > > and some other things, there is no problem. Otherwise, some warnings are
> > > always nice if things go bad.
> >
> > But would anyone who sees these issues know that this is the problem?
> > And what would they do, report the problem?  We'd say, yeh, we know,
> > but do you hit this every day?  Nope, ok, we won't fix it...
> >
> > > Maybe some function which examine new domain and say there is no risk to
> > > add it would be nice.
> >
> > I agree...  These things should have been done in the first place, but
> > clearly this warning wasn't enough to cause anyone to fix it.. :)
>
> You are right, but the warning is remainder that there is something
> unresolved. Remove the warning and forget, imho, it's not well.

Sorry, nine years[1] of the warning existing yet no fix clearly
demonstrates that it's already been forgoten, otherwise it would have
been fixed by now..

Also, a bug report or XXX comment is enough IMO, and will probably
receive the same amount of attention over the next nine years...

[1] https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/138239

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579