Using a swap file

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 31 03:05:40 UTC 2013

Rostislav Krasny <rosti.bsd at gmail.com> wrote
  in <CANt7McGTBwintkopk=hEvo5D4BvsyiFwL_-q9uzna3PwBmm1Rg at mail.gmail.com>:

ro> But I have no 'late' option in my /etc/fstab:
ro>
ro> root at saturn:~ # cat /etc/fstab
ro> # Device    Mountpoint    FStype    Options            Dump    Pass#
ro> /dev/ada0s2a    /        ufs    rw            1    1
ro> md        none        swap    sw,file=/swapfile    0    0
ro>
ro> Then why 'swapon -a' (without -L) doesn't work? It's either buggy or confusing.

 After r255265 the option file= implies late.  It is because a
 file-backed swap space likely to be on a mounted filesystem after the
 "swap" line.

 I realized that that assumption was odd and confusing as you pointed
 out.  The user should specify a swap line with file= after the mount
 entry, and there is no problem with it.  I will fix it.

-- Hiroki