iconv in base breaks multiple ports

Ulrich Spörlein uqs at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 21 20:34:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 13:18:55 +0200, Tilman Keskinöz wrote:
> hi Ulrich,
>
> * Ulrich Spörlein [Sun, 20 Oct 2013 20:27:23 +0200]:
> > ever since that iconv thing replaced the ports version, I run into
> > trouble with several ports that I have installed on a -CURRENT (now
> > stable/10 system).
> >
> > These are not compile-time errors, but crashes or limited functionality
> > where I blame iconv :)
> >

> > 1. www/newsbeuter crashes during startup, somewhere in the stfl code
> > that deals with wide char functions.
> >

> > Is my system hexed? I've rebuilt the ports/packages a dozen times now.
> > Am I seeing ghosts?
>

> I don't run Current, but according to the pkg-fallout mails i am
> receiving, newsbeuter shouldn't even compile on CURRENT. Maybe there are
> some stale files on your system?
>
> There is also an update in the PR system, you might want to try,
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/182896

Right, I had to set USE_GCC=any and muck with -liconv flags of course to
get it to build. Lemme whip up a proper patch though, I got it to build
fine on -CURRENT with clang now, doesn't fix the crash though :(.

Here's a build with USE_GCC=any:
https://redports.org/buildarchive/20131021191400-36506/

Here is a more proper fix:
https://redports.org/buildarchive/20131021203201-51496/