[CFT] Patch to bsdinstall to support root-on-ZFS and GELI

Allan Jude freebsd at allanjude.com
Sat Oct 19 15:34:50 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-19 11:31, Johan Broman wrote:

> On 19/10/13 17:23, Allan Jude wrote:
>> On 2013-10-19 10:56, Johan Broman wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Just tested the root-on-ZFS install option using FreeBSD 10 beta 1. I
>>> have 4 SATA drives in my server. I select all four of them in a RAIDZ1
>>> setup. I hit enter to continue the installation and the zpool is
>>> created, but I'm then returned to the zpool selection screen again. It
>>> turned out that two of the drives had previously been used in a
>>> (Linux) software mirror setup and because of this they got activated
>>> in /dev/raid/r0. Because of this I ended up in an endless bsdinstall
>>> loop.
>>>
>>> Removing the raid device using the graid command resolved the
>>> situation.
>>>
>>> Now maybe this is working as designed, but there was no warning/alert
>>> to the fact that the devices couldn't be used. Perhaps a warning
>>> should be rasied in this situation?
>>>
>>> Thanks for all the great work on the new installer, really looking
>>> forward to FreeBSD 10!
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Johan
>> Errors like that normally generate a msgbox dialog with the error output
>> from whichever command failed. I'll have to dig into it and see where
>> that problem is. I've seen other people have problems creating ZFS
>> arrays after graid, but in that case it was an incomplete graid label
>> causing a device to be locked but not appear in the graid status output.
>>

> Ah ok. A msgbox did appear but the drives that had the problem (ada2
> and ada3) wasn't visible in the output. (not sure if the box itself
> has a size limit or maybe I was just unable to scroll down and see the
> errors?). The only visible output was that it was able to create
> labels on ada0 and ada1.
>
> /Johan
Ahh yes, you have to press 'page-down' to scroll the msgbox. I tried to
add a scrollbar but turns out that is not possible.

The only indication that there is more message to read, is a small 'xx%'
in the bottom right. We might have to look at breaking that output up or
something.

--
Allan Jude