[CFT] Patch to bsdinstall to support root-on-ZFS and GELI

Allan Jude freebsd at allanjude.com
Sat Oct 19 15:23:26 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-19 10:56, Johan Broman wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Just tested the root-on-ZFS install option using FreeBSD 10 beta 1. I
> have 4 SATA drives in my server. I select all four of them in a RAIDZ1
> setup. I hit enter to continue the installation and the zpool is
> created, but I'm then returned to the zpool selection screen again. It
> turned out that two of the drives had previously been used in a
> (Linux) software mirror setup and because of this they got activated
> in /dev/raid/r0. Because of this I ended up in an endless bsdinstall
> loop.
>
> Removing the raid device using the graid command resolved the situation.
>
> Now maybe this is working as designed, but there was no warning/alert
> to the fact that the devices couldn't be used. Perhaps a warning
> should be rasied in this situation?
>
> Thanks for all the great work on the new installer, really looking
> forward to FreeBSD 10!
>
> Cheers
> Johan
Errors like that normally generate a msgbox dialog with the error output
from whichever command failed. I'll have to dig into it and see where
that problem is. I've seen other people have problems creating ZFS
arrays after graid, but in that case it was an incomplete graid label
causing a device to be locked but not appear in the graid status output.

--
Allan Jude