rcs

Jos Backus jos at catnook.com
Thu Oct 10 18:40:44 UTC 2013

On Oct 10, 2013 9:38 AM, "Julian Elischer" <julian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 10/11/13 12:34 AM, Jos Backus wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org>
wrote:

>>> On 10/9/13 11:59 PM, Jos Backus wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>>> can fossil read rcs files? and how big is it compared to RCS?
>>

>> It seems there's some thought on importing CVS repos but according to
'fossil help import', only the git fast-export format is supported.
>> In practice this means you'd loose history, yes. But it's not hard to
keep the old RCS files somewhere else in case that history is needed.

>> http://www.fossil-scm.org/fossil/wiki?name=Import+CVS+Repositories
>>
>> I just built devel/fossil and it yields a single binary,
/usr/local/bin/fossil which clocks in at 1.8M. Given all the functionality
it provides (plus it is in a similar class as git, see
http://www.fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/tip/www/fossil-v-git.wiki), I
think that's a steal.

>> It was started by the author of SQlite. If we require some kind of
version control system in the base that's powerful, well-maintained and
BSD-licensed, this really seems like a no-brainer.

> well since people expect RCS.. it is not a no brainer.
> you are asking people to learn  a whole new tool  for functionality that
is currently very simple..
> edit file
> ci -l file
>     add comment.

Such is the price of progress. I envy people who don't have to learn
anything new in order to stay employed  :-)

Jos