Unable to installworld after successful buildworld and buildkernel

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 9 03:00:55 UTC 2013

> > But where is DB_FROM_SRC documented?  I never saw it anywhere.  UPDATING file needs to be updated for installing FreeBSD on a partition where there is no OS installed.

> It's documented in Makefile.inc1 where the less commonly used options
> are documented.  It should be documented in the Handbook along with the
> process of cross installation and image creation.

> I disagree that UPDATING should document the process of installing to
> other locations.  That would be a distraction from it's purpose of
> letting users update their systems.  It's already far too complicated.

-- Brooks

UPDATING file has a section on cross-installing current into a separate partition.

This part ought to be complete, including DB_FROM_SRC, rather than leaving a user lost at sea when a new user (unbound) sneaks in.

UPDATING documented when user auditdistd was added, so why not for unbound?

Tom