rcs is gone?

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Tue Oct 8 00:00:46 UTC 2013

On 7 October 2013 16:58, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon at orthanc.ca> wrote:

> On 2013-10-07, at 4:49 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > I've asked on IRC to figure out when this was first proposed.
>
> Adrian, something to keep in mind is that the majority of your code's
> users will never use your preferred communication media.  So when you
> propose to remove a feature, absence of push-back means nothing, other than
> the lack of a communications channel with your 'customers'.

Oh, I know it's an up-hill battle.  But I honestly thought that this had
been communicated on a list somewhere. It seems.. not. I don't know why.
Gah.

> We get this a lot with feature manipulation in nmh, and have learned to
> tread carefully as a result.
>
> This is also why the IETF defines work as being that which takes place on
> the mailing lists.  Slow and dumb (in the media-rich sense), but everyone
> knows what's going on.
>
> In that light, if there is a rational argument for pulling RCS out of the
> base, propose it here on the -current list and let's all discuss it.

I still do suggest also getting a relationship with the FreeBSD foundation
and airing grievances with them. They're interested in opening up new
communication lines with companies who can provide this kind of feedback
but don't necessarily want to be public about it.

Thanks,

-a