cron(8) improvement

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sun Nov 10 02:13:44 UTC 2013

On 9 November 2013 17:58, Allan Jude <freebsd at allanjude.com> wrote:

> Well, if the rc.conf config is specific to the daemon being installed by
> the package, then the existing /etc/rc.conf.d/ system works fine, it
> just falls down a little on xorg configuring hald, unless you just make
> the xorg package create /etc/rc.conf.d/hald and /etc/rc.conf.d/dbus

If I install hal/dbus, why wouldn't they themselves populate
/etc/rc.conf.d/hald and /etc/rc.conf.d/dbus ?

If there are hal/dbus options that need configuring by other packages,
then sure, you'll need to add some other things too.

> I like the simplicity of rc.conf, and I would much rather not involve an
> sqlite database, I am not sure how that could possibly be faster then
> sourcing an extra shell script.

Don't focus on that. The sqlite example is just that - an example -
showing what kind of operations you would want to implement to _allow_
you to do that. I'm not advocating for doing it in freebsd-base.

The point I'm making is this:

* when populating rc.conf.d/, don't just do 'cp' in a post-install script
* when populating the cron daemon entries in rc.cron.d, don't just
'cp' in a post-install script.

-adrian