Cannot startx on FreeBSD10 Current

Walter Hurry walterhurry at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 16:11:46 UTC 2013

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:56:26 +0000, Miguel Clara wrote:

> I had the same issue the first time I've built Xorg, when I've first
> read:
> "As of revision r235859 of FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT, no patches should be
> needed to get GEM/KMS. See Intel_GPU
> <https://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU> for more details." at
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Xorg
>
> I assume It worked out of the box just b installing Xorg...
>
> Intel_GPU <https://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU> page however pointed me
> to the right direction, which is:
> WITH_NEW_XORG=true and WITH_KMS=true to /etc/make.conf.  and then
> rebuild (portmaster -f for example) and it now starts.
>
> I still have some problems though... I can't switch to console with
> CRTL+ALT+F1...2..3... etc I get a very weired screen, like my kde all
> nuts... the good thing is I can at least switch back to kde.
> I also noted that at shutdown/reboot I get a black screen .... nothing
> shows on screen, I just have to wait for it to turn off... I get the
> feeling that this is somehow related!
>
> Please note that I'm using a Acer S3 Ultrabook with a integrated Intel
> card... AMD info is here: https://wiki.freebsd.org/AMD_GPU

Thanks for the reply.

Well, this is in a VM, which reports the graphics adapter as:

vgapci0 at pci0:0:2:0:	class=0x030000 card=0x00000000 chip=0xbeef80ee
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH'
    device     = 'VirtualBox Graphics Adapter'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

When I put the two suggested enties into make.conf, xorg-server fails to
compile, saying that it requires dri >= 7.8, whereas my installed dri is
7.6.1_3,2 (from the Ports collection).