Handle kernel module crashes

Florent Peterschmitt florent at peterschmitt.fr
Mon Jun 10 14:39:28 UTC 2013

Le 10/06/2013 16:28, Ryan Stone a écrit :
> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Florent Peterschmitt <
> florent at peterschmitt.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> It's not a problem but a question, and it's quite simple:
>>
>> How does FreeBSD handle crash from a single kernel module ?
>>
>> If the module internally crashes, does the entire system does too or
>> FreeBSD will continue to live ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> There is no separation between kernel modules and the kernel proper.  A
> crash in a kernel module will crash the entire system.

Ok and isn't it a "bad" thing ? I mean, even if the video driver
crashes, I still want to have the ability to reboot the right way,
avoiding corrupted files and WIP lose.

Another thing is a non-critical module that can crash, but because not
used by all apps on the machine, letting them ones that can continue run.

But I don't know what is the approach of FreeBSD and devs about that.

--
Florent Peterschmitt           | Please:
florent at peterschmitt.fr        |  * Avoid HTML/RTF in E-mail