10-CURRENT i386 memstick snapshots broken?

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jun 8 20:01:27 UTC 2013

Glen Barber <gjb at freebsd.org> wrote
  in <20130608173411.GD13292 at glenbarber.us>:

gj> On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 05:22:56PM -0400, Glen Barber wrote:

gj> Because the userland is 32-bit and the kernel is 64-bit, "something"
gj> goes wrong, but interestingly not wrong enough that the script fails
gj> entirely.  So, the paritions appear to be created, but in reality, they
gj> are not.
gj>
gj> So, for the snapshots case, the solution is to write the memstick image
gj> from outside of the chroot environment, which is easy to do because
gj> I already do this for creating the VM disk images (interestingly for the
gj> same reason as the memstick creation failure).

 I do not think there is a problem with cross building in chroot.
 allbsd.org is also generating i386 snapshots on an amd64 box in
 almost the same way as generate-release.sh, but the memstick images
 already generated were not broken as far as I can check.  Although I
 do not use generate-release.sh on it because I added another build
 world stage in chroot before cross compiling, the difference is
 small.

 What was exactly gone wrong in 32-bit binary on 64-bit kernel?

-- Hiroki