FreeBSD Testing Facility

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 15:33:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Fleuriot Damien <ml at my.gd> wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2013, at 2:23 PM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <
> m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 5:14 AM, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg>
> wrote:

> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/10.0/FreeBSD-10.0-CURRENT-amd64-20130216-r246877-release.iso

> into

> .

> successfully

> >> I stopped right here. None of the software you compare FreeBSD-current
> >> is an development build. On the other hand, you downloaded an
> cutting-edge
> >> development build of FreeBSD (not released software) and expected it to
> be
> >> stable. It is not. This is why it is not released. It might not always
> >> break, but it might also damage your data and (possibly) hardware too.
> >> Unless you agree to accept these risks, you should not play with
> >> development versions of software.
> >>
> >> Having said that, the DG965WH is quite old hardware and any stable
> version
> >> of FreeBSD should work just fine there. You are unlikely to see any
> benefit
> >> of the unreleased versions that are still in development, such as
> >> supporting "very new" hardware etc.
> >>
> >> Sorry if any of this sounds too hard, but it is reflecting reality. This
> >> mailing list, freebsd-current exists to facilitate discussion between
> >> those, who know they are running highly unstable, still in development
> >> version of FreeBSD that needs lots of work to become more stable.
> >>
> >> Daniel
> >>

> > I will not support your views . My main idea is to describe how we can
> help
> > to improve FreeBSD testing .
> >
> > The problem is " A snapshot intended for testing , is NOT able to boot."
> .
> >
> > If you ask , do I know what I am doing : My answer is I am working in
> > computing since 1970 .
> >

> And in all that time you've never heard of nightly builds being broken ?

Please , please , DO NOT understand my message in a different context .

I am NOT saying that a snapshot may not be broken .
I am saying that

"Let's test components as much as possible to generate more complex
components." .

After generating working components , we will start to test their union .

At present , we are testing a complex system without testing its parts .
This wastes much effort , time , money , etc. .

To solve this problem , let's establish a distributed testing computing
structure .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk