7+ days of dogfood

CeDeROM cederom at tlen.pl
Sun Feb 10 15:45:49 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 1:07 AM, Steve Kargl
<sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
> In a long thread started by Peter Wemm on developers@, he described
> the move/upgrade of the FreeBSD.org cluster to using FreeBSD-10.  A
> part of his description included the need to test top-of-tree under
> actual real-world conditions.  In his words, FreeBSD should "eat its
> own dogfood."  The new installation on FreeBSD.org, of course, would
> test FreeBSD-10 under (heavy) server load.

Just one word from an ordinary user - this is perfect idea to test
things in the real world scenario in a dedicated environment because
this will show problems and force solutions very quickly. Some more
serious tasks may be also a good playground to test stability of the
stable branch and make sure they will not propagate issues to the
production stable platforms around the world. I really love FreeBSD
for the clean, simple and elegant yet still very powerful solutions.
Some features are still behind, some features are pioneer, still smart
and experienced personnel decisions behind the scenes produces
impressive results. I am sure this is also a good decision. This is
why I stick and promote the FreeBSD, although some people don't like
it, and I even consider to switch to CURRENT in everyday tasks too if
this will help your work with necessary feedback :-)

Best regards :-)
Tomek Cedro