Time to kill fdc ?

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Sun Feb 10 13:15:05 UTC 2013

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> I tried to read a floppy disk yesterday.
>
> When was the last time anybody tried that with a FreeBSD release ?

I did it last week on 9.0-R. Worked great.

(I have more than plans to continue supporting floppies -- I've actually written code in the past 3 weeks supporting floppies as a test-case called for it; commit still pending)

> Based on my brief experiments yesterday, 6.X is the last release
> where accessing floppy disks carry less than a 10% risk of a panic.
>
> Unless somebody fixes the fdc driver to work in -current, I intend
> to dust of my axe and cut it from the tree later this spring.

I was using 9.0-R, admittedly far from -CURRENT. Sad because my up-coming HEAD commit was tested on 9.0-R -- if fdc is broken in CURRENT I need to rethink things (especially if you're dusting off your axe).
--
Devin