geli(8) breaks after a couple hours of uptime

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 8 12:46:13 UTC 2013

on 08/02/2013 13:48 Ulrich Spörlein said the following:
> The problem here is that I login via my user account, then either use
> sudo or sudo -i for a root shell, this however does not raise the
> memorylocked limit. So when I said this works during boot and shortly
> after, it's because I haven't started my screen session yet, through
> which I do all the work, usually, but have logged in with a direct root
> shell. D'oh!
>
> It looks like 128k as a limit is still too low for geli(8) to work, and
> I've set it to 256k now, so that I can use "sudo geli". Can you maybe
> revise the patch to not use 1024k as an arbitrary limit, but rather make
> sure you test for precisely as much memory as will be needed?
>
> Also, can we maybe revisit the new 64k default limit, as it will
> obviously make peoples work with geli a bit painful, this should work
> out of the box.

I have some, IMO, better suggestions:
- use -c option with sudo
- tune your system for your needs

- [major] abolish the silliness of tying resource limits to login class and apply
resource limits based on user and group IDs; including after su/sudo (subject to
local policies)

--
Andriy Gapon