sysutils/lsof Author Question (for CLANG)....

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 8 14:17:03 UTC 2012

on 08/11/2012 01:00 Greg 'groggy' Lehey said the following:
> On Wednesday,  7 November 2012 at 16:35:22 -0600, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>> On 2012-11-07 15:39, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>>> IIRC lsof is a special case that always needs to be built with
>>> intimate knowledge of the kernel.
>>
>> This is VERY true.  Since some of the information lsof uses has
>> no API/ABI/KPI/KBI to get, it grovels around in the kernel.
>
> And until those interfaces are provided, I think this is legitimate.
> If there's anybody out there who hasn't used lsof, you should try it.
> It's good.

Just curious why lsof can't use interfaces that e.g. fstat/sockstat/etc use?
Those base utilities do not seem to experience as much trouble as lsof.

BTW, it is still beyond me why VOP_WRITE could be of any interest to userland code
even for such a utility as lsof.

--
Andriy Gapon