FORTRAN vs. Fortran (was: November 5th is Clang-Day)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 2 06:14:55 UTC 2012

On Friday,  2 November 2012 at 12:21:03 +0700, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 21:59:17 -0700
> Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
>>
>> BTW, the name of the language is "Fortran".  It's been "Fortran"
>> for the last 30-something years.
>
> I never realised the name change. It seems that I am not alone with
> this.

Nor I.  Looking at the Wikipedia page, I discover that it had been
spelt "Fortran" as early as 1956, and there's even a copy of the 1956
Fortran manual online: http://www.fortran.com/FortranForTheIBM704.pdf
Interesting reading.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger grog at FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.