OpenLDAP 2.4.31 on FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT/amd64 broken!

Hartmann, O. ohartman at
Sat May 5 15:55:00 UTC 2012

Hello lists.

Since Friday, I have on all of our FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT/amd64 boxes
massive trouble with net/openldap24-server (SASL enabled, so it is

Last time OpenLDAP worked was Thursday last week, when obviously a
problematic update to the OS was made - it is a wild guess, since I did
daily make world and by the end of the day after the last make world
things went worse. I'm sorry having no SVN release tag handy.

Well, here some facts.

1) The update of net/openldap24-server has been performed earlier this
month and has been run successfully (2.4.31).

2) It doesn't matter whether OpenLDAP is compiled with CLANG 3.1 or
legacy GCC 4.2.1, compiled with CLANG, slapd(8C)  coredumps immediately,
compiled with gcc, it starts, but when slapd(8C) gets accessed, it
coredumps immediately. A simple "id ohartmann" is enough.

3) I recompiled OpenLDAP 2.4.31 client and server and it requisites via
"portmaster -f net/openldap24-server|client. No effect/success. I also
recompiled every port used with OpenLDAP: security/pam_ldap and

4) OpenLDAP server uses DB5 based backend.

5) The very same configuration (copied slap.d folder's .ldif files)
works fine on FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE/amd64, even compiled with CLANG. This
makes me believe this is a FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT specific bug.

6) Following is a truss output of the following comand issued:

/usr/local/libexec/slapd -d32 -o ldap -g ldap -F
/usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.d :

connect(8,{ AF_INET },16)      ERR#61 'Connection refused'
shutdown(8,SHUT_RDWR)                            ERR#54 'Connection
reset by pee
close(8)                                         = 0 (0x0)
clock_gettime(13,{1336231852.000000000 })        = 0 (0x0)
getpid()                                         = 84297 (0x14949)
sendto(3,"<163>May  5 17:30:52 slapd[84297"...,97,0x0,NULL,0x0) = 97 (0x61)
|SIGINFO|SIGUSR1|SIGUSR2,0x0) = 0 (0x0)
sigaction(SIGPIPE,{ SIG_DFL SA_RESTART ss_t },{ SIG_IGN 0x0 ss_t }) = 0
sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK,0x0,0x0)                 = 0 (0x0)
4fa547ac ldif_read_file: checksum error on
4fa547ac hdb_db_open: database "dc=walstatt,dc=dyndns,dc=org": unclean
detected; attempting recovery.
4fa547ad hdb_db_open: database "cn=accesslog": unclean shutdown
detected; attemp
ting recovery.
4fa547ad slapd starting
setgroups(0x1,0x802c7a000,0x802c7c001,0xffffffff,0x0,0x0) ERR#4
'Interrupted sys
tem call'
process exit, rval = 0

7) Desperately, I tried nearly every variation of the configurable
"overlays", even those my configuration doesn't use. But this seems
nonesense since OpenLDAP worked before.

I'm floating like a dead man in the water and I was wondering if someone
else doesn't face this problem. FreeBSD is said to be run in large
environments, so at least one should have OpenLDAP as user backend
running ...

I need some help in this case.


P.S. Please set me CC, I'm not subscribing list "questions".

More information about the freebsd-current mailing list