ABI/architecture identification for packages

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Mar 20 06:24:44 UTC 2012

In message <20120319215802.GC1692 at azathoth.lan>, Baptiste Daroussin writes:

>On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:35:08PM +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> In order to identify architectures I need to find a uniq id for every
>> possibilities (for pkgng)
>>
>> here is the identification I propose:
>>
>> arch-class-os-majorversion(-archi_specific_extension)

Given how sparse this name-space is, you'll have less than 50
different values, you might want to consider something more compact,
such as a single letter for all components, and the version number last:

X2F9 	= x64-32-freebsd-9
X4F10	= x64-64-freebsd-10
A2FB9	= arm-32-freebsd-eb_oabi-9

By the time we run out of ASCII or even Unicode characters, we have
other problems.