src.conf ignored; phantom named

Gary Palmer gpalmer at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 2 23:17:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 05:41:28PM -0500, Rotate 13 wrote:
> I set WITHOUT_BIND="yes" in /etc/src.conf, and built/installed world.
> Not only does /usr/sbin/named exist - named is actually started!
> Several other WITHOUT_* variables also were apparently ignored, as
> evidenced by stuff installed on running system.
>
> My main question is - how do I debug this?  I have been combing over
> makefiles under /usr/src (not to mention, going through /etc/rc.d/
> trying to figure out what actually started named).  As far as I
> ascertain, _WITHOUT_SRCCONF is *not* set anywhere for world building;
> named_enable="no" in relevant rc.conf files; rpcbind and ntpd are not
> running either.  Since named daemonized, it's not easy to tell who
> started it - and grepping everything in sight, I can't figure out how
> it got built in the first place.
>
> uname -a:
> FreeBSD xyz.example.com 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Feb 29
> 10:28:17 CST 2012    root at xyz.example.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM
> amd64
>
> I focused substantial attention on /usr/src/share/bsd.own.mk and
> worked outward; but did not find anything obvious.
>
> Advice on where to poke for the right information, much appreciated.

Does the datestamp on /usr/sbin/named reflect when you built the world
or could named have been left over from a previous install?

WITHOUT_BIND="yes" doesn't delete named if its already installed (not sure
if 'make delete-old' cleans it up or not)

As for named running, if you do

sh /etc/rc.d/named restart

does it succeed?  If so, the 'named_enable="no"' flag must be set wrong.
Also check to make sure that its not named from ports or some other
location (e.g. check fstat or lsof or something to make sure its actually
/usr/sbin/named and not from some other location)

Regards,

Gary