jid and jname are numberic by default why? Can we change it ?

Daniel Shahaf danielsh at apache.org
Mon Jan 30 17:56:09 UTC 2012

Jamie Gritton wrote on Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:38:16 -0700:
> On 01/28/12 15:47, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> >P.S.  As an aside, the provision in projects/jailconf/'s jail(8) that
> >it's not possible for 'jail -r' to remove all jails _unless_ the '*'
> >syntax is used seems unusual to me: I expect 'jail -r foo bar' to remove
> >those two jails regardless of whether any other jails exist.  (Sorry if
> >this has been discussed already -- it's just an issue I ran across while
> >examining the jail(8) man page in Jamie's framework.)
>
> I think I must have communicated something badly - "jail -r *" is the
> way to remove all jails without specifying them, but if your only jails
> are foo and bar, then "jail -r foo bar" will do the trick.

That sounds absolutely sane; exactly the behaviour I'd expect.

The sentence that led me to think otherwise is the second sentence of this
excerpt from jail.8 at r230776:

    An argument of
    .Dq *
    is a wildcard that will operate on all jails.  To prevent errors,
    this is the only way for
    .Fl r
    to remove all jails.

Thanks,

Daniel

P.S.  What is the timeframe for the jailconf framework to be included in
a release?  9.1, 10.0, ...?