sysctl kern.ipc.somaxconn limit 65535 why?

Dan The Man dan at sunsaturn.com
Wed Jan 4 20:22:57 UTC 2012

sunsaturn:~# sysctl -w kern.ipc.somaxconn=200000
kern.ipc.somaxconn: 4096
sysctl: kern.ipc.somaxconn: Invalid argument
sunsaturn:~# sysctl -w kern.ipc.somaxconn=65536
kern.ipc.somaxconn: 4096
sysctl: kern.ipc.somaxconn: Invalid argument
sunsaturn:~# sysctl -w kern.ipc.somaxconn=65535
kern.ipc.somaxconn: 4096 -> 65535
sunsaturn:~#

Trying to stress test a framework here that tosses 100k of connections
into a listen queue before doing anything, I realize I'll have to use
multiple local IPs get get around port limitations, but why is this
backlog using a limit?

Dan.

--
Dan The Man