lost inode, no backup

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Sun Jan 1 22:59:20 UTC 2012

I know it's been a week but no-one else has offered any input.

On 2011-Dec-25 08:39:02 -0500, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>FreeBSD ran.psg.com 10.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #4: Sat Dec 24 12:33:51 UTC 2011     root at ran.psg.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/RAN  amd64
>on reboot, /usr/home was empty, as iff the inode had been lost.  but no
>lost+found and fsck found no problem.
>/dev/da0s1f    138G    111G     15G    88%    /usr
># 4 - /usr
>/sbin/dump 0Luaf - /dev/da0s1f | $SSH $USYS "/bin/cat > $DDIR/usr"
>
>and which had run quite happily a few hours before
>  DUMP: DUMP: 56980137 tape blocks
>except that on all backups since the system moved to 10-current, home is
>empty in the usr file!!!  all other directories there are good.

It's not explicitly specified but I presume /usr/home is a directory
within /usr.  (Not a symlink or mountpoint).

What version were you running before 10-current?
Is /usr UFS2 with softupdates+journalling?
Is userland (specifically /sbin/dump and fsck) aligned with the kernel?
Any idea what SVN revision your system corresponds to?
Have there been any unclean shutdowns of the system?

"Tape blocks" reported by dump(8) are (as far as I can tell) always
1KB.  Your df(1) output reports 111GB used in /usr but dump(8) only
shows ~57GB being backed up.  Do you have any idea why there's such a
difference?  How much space would you expect to be used in /usr?

Do you have the fsck(8) output?  If so, how much space does it report?

Have you checked the dumps for all the other filesystems?  Are any of
them missing data or containing unexpectedly empty directories?

I don't suppose you have the output from hd(1), stat(1) and "ls -al"
of /usr & /usr/home?

--
Peter Jeremy