ath / 802.11n performance issues and timer code

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 27 03:36:27 UTC 2011

.. and as a follow up (and cc'ing attillo and freebsd-mips, in case
it's relevant to other platforms and there's a MIPS specific thing to
fix):

* 2128: mi_switch to idle
* 2129: kern_clocksource.c:762 - ie, cpu_idleclock() has been called
* 2130: the ath interrupt comes in
* 2134: it's skipped for now as the idle thread is in a critical section
* 2136: kern_clocksource.c:266 - ie, getnextcpuevent(), inside cpu_idleclock().

What I bet is happening is this race between the critical section +
cpu_idleclock() and the ath0 interrupt:

* idle gets scheduled
* critical_enter() is called in the mips cpu_idle() routine
* the ath interrupt comes in here and gets handled, but since we're in
a critical section, it won't preempt things
* the cpu_idleclock() code completes without releasing the preemption,
and the only thing that wakes up from that wait is the next interrupt
(clock, arge0, etc.)

Adrian