no X after installing xorg + xfce

Garrett Cooper yanegomi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 16:08:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Michal Varga <varga.michal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 07:01 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> > I've skimmed the thread, (apologies if I've missed it), but I haven't
>> > yet seen your Xorg log or your config file. Almost every graphics card
>> > should work with VESA at a minimum.
>>
>> I have no Xorg.conf file as it is not needed anymore.  I tried to rebuild it,
>> # Xorg -configure
>
> xorg.conf isn't "needed" in case you wish to rely purely on xorg's and
> HAL's autodetection (this is a perfectly bad idea), and if you do not
> need to change any single xorg option from defaults (this would be very
> strange in my book).
>
> There are tons of manuals on the Internet detailing how to write a
> proper xorg configuration file (it even has its own man page - man
> xorg.conf) and as with any properly configured software - it pays off.
>

>> process hangs and returns colors on the screen :(
>
> Autodetection blows. You will have to write your configuration manually.
>

>> I can't attach Xorg.0.log, I know which driver to use, as I have X
>> working correctly with Linux(Slackware) on that same machine[another
>> hard drive].  It is just that I have no way of saving logs or posting
>> information without taking a picture, I would to put all doubts away.
>
> Honestly, I really don't understand the "I can't attach Xorg.log"
> wording.
>
> It's a physical log file, just a regular file. How is it that you cannot
> copy it from the particular machine/hard drive/filesystem and put it
> someplace on the Internet, or paste the relevant parts inline in one of
> the emails?
>

>> As of know I will rebuild world, install new kernel remove all ports
>> and start from scratch.  If I can't get it to work with a fresh start.
>
> There's really nothing wrong with your ports and you'll be only wasting
> your time with this generic and pointless "Windows-style reinstall
> everything" procedure, without actually looking at the issue itself.
>
> The other poster(s) already told you. If you need any help, you will
> have to provide error messages, you will have to provide error logs (and
> you will have to properly configure your xorg, because as you already
> noticed, autodetection clearly doesn't work the way you expect it to).
>

>>  I will wait for BETA 3 or an RC :)  I just want to help in testing,
>> it is that I can't supply the information as I would like to :(
>
> I can 100% guarantee that BETA3 nor RC won't change anything in regard
> to the issue you're experiencing. Your problem lies elsewhere and you
> didn't even start systematically investigating it.

    Newb hacker tip number one: try CTRL-ALT-F1 when you get the
technicolor screen. If your system isn't hosed then you'll get the
first tty.
    The only time I can think of where /var/log/Xorg.0.log wouldn't be
populated with something useful is if the kernel module livelocks
talking to the card and/or fsck takes out the file on the next reboot
because it was in use.
    And yes Michal is right, IIRC. 64-bit drivers didn't exist on that version.
    Just try this file and get back to us please with something more
useful than "it doesn't work". Otherwise we can't help you .
-Garrett