no X after installing xorg + xfce

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 12:01:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Tom Evans <tevans.uk at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Antonio Olivares
> <olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The first thing to try is reading the handbook section on configuring
>>> X at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-config.html - specifically
>>> try running
>>>
>>> Xorg -configure
>>>
>>> as root to get a basic xorg.conf file that you can then tweak
>>>
>>> Once you have this working, you may like to try the binary nvidia
>>> driver available from
>>> http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk which should
>>> provide the all the features of the graphics card
>>>
>>> Anthony
>>>

>> Been there!  Done that!   Makes no difference.  X hangs and returns
>> screen with many lines in colors but X does not work correctly.  So
>> thanks for advice, but no that does not help.  Maybe what do I have to
>> lose, I should try to rebuild system or reinstall to see if it makes a
>> difference?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Antonio
>
> 'Does not work correctly' covers everything from the background the
> wrong colour to the mouse being inverted and everything inbetween.
>
> I've skimmed the thread, (apologies if I've missed it), but I haven't
> yet seen your Xorg log or your config file. Almost every graphics card
> should work with VESA at a minimum.

I have no Xorg.conf file as it is not needed anymore.  I tried to rebuild it,
# Xorg -configure

process hangs and returns colors on the screen :(

> With an ancient graphics 'card' like a 6050, x11/nvidia-driver is the
> wrong driver, you want x11/nvidia-driver-173. However, the 173 series
> drivers do not support amd64 IIRC.
>
> With logs someone may be able to help you, without logs its just
> shouting out ideas why your X11 installation isn't working.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

I can't attach Xorg.0.log, I know which driver to use, as I have X
working correctly with Linux(Slackware) on that same machine[another
hard drive].  It is just that I have no way of saving logs or posting
information without taking a picture, I would to put all doubts away.
As of know I will rebuild world, install new kernel remove all ports
and start from scratch.  If I can't get it to work with a fresh start.
 I will wait for BETA 3 or an RC :)  I just want to help in testing,
it is that I can't supply the information as I would like to :(

But I will keep many posted on this.

Regards,

Antonio