9.0 beta2 & the new bsdinstaller

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 18 09:55:26 UTC 2011

Some more ideas on the new bsdinstaller cross my mind.

Since the way the bsdinstaller would make partitions is unpredictable, at least to the uninitiated, and in all likelihood at variance with how much space the user wants to allocate, it might be better to offer a roadmap to help guide the user to allocating space for FreeBSD using gpart or Rod Smith's gdisk.

Also, I can't see the function of the 64 KB boot partition with no file system, which does not boot for me, though I can boot the main partition using grub2 from the System Rescue CD (http://sysresccd.org/).

Another concern is updating to the next beta (BETA3?) without trashing the installed application software (from ports).  So far, bsdinstaller hasn't offered any possibility of upgrading an existing installation.  I don't think a user wants to rebuild all ports for every new beta or release candidate.

Tom