9.0 bata2 & keymap

Fbsd8 fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com
Sat Sep 17 16:24:22 UTC 2011

Nathan Whitehorn wrote:

>>> You can press "Cancel" there, which will cancel keymap selection and
>>> keep the default. The utility being invoked is just kbdmap(1), and any
>>> changes to it need to go there.
>>> -Nathan
>>

 >> .. maybe name that button "skip" then?
 >>

 >The button is provided by kbdmap, as is the entire screen. We could
add >an "installer" mode to kbdmap that names it skip instead of cancel,
of >course. I'm traveling for another 2 weeks and won't have time to do
 >that, however.
 >-Nathan

Nathan

Its good to be talking directly with the bsdinstall author.

Changing the cancel button in the kbdmap command to skip, does not
address the problem, which is the lack of knowledge of the standard
bsdinstall user. I've been using Freebsd since 4.0 and never used the
kbdmap command or for that matter even knew it existed.

The real question is not "how to change the kbdmap command" but one of
should bsdinstall even be presenting this option? Localization of
Freebsd has all ways been a advanced configuration task in previous
releases and maybe it should remain that way. Even in the comments of
bsdinstall you call this option as optional. The easiest solution is
just to comment out this code in bsdinstall.

As you stated above "selecting the cancel button will keep the default".
How is the bsdinstall user suppose to know this? Changing 'cancel" to
"skip" still does not address the problem that users are NOT going to
know that doing so will give them the old default. This is a good case
for a help dialog screen.

One way to keep the localization option is to add an informational
bsdinstall dialog screen asking the user if they want to modify this
install to use a keyboard that is language specific, (ie: Japanese
keyboard, Russian keyboard, ect). Including a statement saying that
selecting localization will launch the system kbdmap command, and then
selecting the cancel button will result in the default used in previous
releases to be used. This gives the user the information needed to base
a intelligent decision on and keeps the kbdmap command unchanged.

Another way would be to add an entry to the top of kbdmap command
database labeled "(default) description" so its highlighted on the
initial display and hitting enter will take this selection.

Now I must point out that I tested hitting the cancel button in the
kbdmap command. It worked in that no keymap= statement was inserted into
/etc/rc.conf but it must also make some other changes some where else in
the system because if you do select an entry from the kbdmap database
and them remove the keymap= statement that was inserted into
/etc/rc.conf and then reboot the system, it will hang on reboot.

Another point of interest is when selecting "cancel for the default
keyboard" still results in the block of 9 keys above the arrow keys to
not function. Issuing the "man cmd_name" command does display the man
page, but the {Page up, Page down keys } don't work. Also when using the
"ee" edit command the {delete, Page up, Page down don't work. There may
be more system utility commands with the same flaw.

This may indicate that the default keyboard map in kbdmap command has
changed, is not the same as in previous releases or some thing else in
the 9.0 system has changed. In either case this needs research.

Joe