Screwy behavior in ports framework

Gary Jennejohn gljennjohn at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 13 07:30:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 06:57:04 +0000 (GMT)
"Thomas Mueller <mueller6727"@bellsouth.net wrote:

> I just installed FreeBSD 9.0-BETA2 last night, now I try to
> build ports starting with Perl 5.14.1 (successful), then Python
> 2.7 fails on something dubious, but when I try to build Lynx,
> ports framework can't find a directory right under its nose.
> Problem is with dependency libiconv-1.13.1_1.  I am using the
> ports tree from BETA1, from portsnap, hence ports directory is
> /BETA1/usr/ports, BETA1 being the BETA1 partition/file system.
> My /etc/make.conf is
>

> PORTSDIR=/BETA1/usr/ports PACKAGES=/usr/packages WRKDIR=workb2
> # added by use.perl 2011-09-13 02:49:43
> PERL_VERSION=5.14.1
>
> Error screen shows, copied with the mouse, thanks to moused:
>
> amelia2# ls workb2 .extract_done.libiconv._usr_local
> libiconv-1.13.1 amelia2# ls workb2/libiconv-1.13.1/ ABOUT-NLS
> Makefile.devel aclocal.m4 gnulib-local src AUTHORS Makefile.in
> autogen.sh include srclib COPYING NEWS build-aux lib srcm4
> COPYING.LIB NOTES config.h.in libcharset tests ChangeLog PORTS
> configure m4 tools DEPENDENCIES README configure.ac man windows
> DESIGN README.djgpp djgpp os2 woe32dll HACKING README.woe32 doc
> po INSTALL.generic THANKS extras preload amelia2# make
> package-recursive |& tee build.log ===> Patching for
> libiconv-1.13.1_1 ===> Applying distribution patches for
> libiconv-1.13.1_1 patch:  **** can't cd to
> workb2/libiconv-1.13.1:  No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /BETA1/usr/ports/converters/libiconv.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /BETA1/usr/ports/converters/libiconv.  amelia2# pwd
> /BETA1/usr/ports/converters/libiconv amelia2#
>
> (end of quote)
>
> FreeBSD system or ports system can't find a directory right
> under its nose!
>
> I had gone into directory /BETA1/usr/ports/converters/libiconv
> to build that dependency before returning to lynx, but now seem
> stuck, or am I overlooking something hopelessly simple?

Your e-mail address is totally fubar.  I had to edit it by hand.

Yes.  Your ports is rooted under /BETA1/usr/ports but I'd guess that
workb2 is located someplace else.

Define WRKDIRPREFIX which is an _absolute_ path to where workb2 is
located, e.g. WRKDIRPREFIX=/my/temporary/work/dir or some such.

Just because *you* happen to be in the directory where workb2 is located
doesn't mean that it's visible to ports, which requires absolute
paths.

--
Gary Jennejohn