Shared libraries version bump?

Thomas Mueller mueller6727 at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 7 09:24:17 UTC 2011

When FreeBSD 9.0_BETA1 was announced, the announcement included a notice that shared library version would be updated some time prior to BETA2, which would necessitate rebuilding all ports.

Has this happened yet?  I don't want to rebuild all ports at the wrong time.  I notice BETA2 has been released but see no announcement.

Readme, hardware notes and release notes say nothing specific to the BETA2 release/snapshot.

If the shared libraries version bump has not yet occurred, I would want to update in place, if the installer can do that; otherwise I would install BETA2 to a different partition, keeping the old /home and swap.  That way, I would still have BETA1 to fall back on for the built ports, before I would finish rebuilding the ports on BETA2.

This is on a new computer, with Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB hard drive, using GPT, so for now I have plenty of space.

I already downloaded and dd'ed the amd64 memstick image for amd64, and have looked at the data thereon.

Tom