/home and /usr/home not created by bsdinstall

Yamagi Burmeister lists at yamagi.org
Thu Sep 1 09:09:10 UTC 2011

Hi,
when installing FreeBSD 9.0-BETA1 and choosing the auto partition
layout (Guided -> Entire Disk -> Exit -> Save) with no seperate
/usr/home partition and adding no user accounts to the system
(Would you like to add users to the installed system now -> No) neither
the /usr/home directory nor the /home symlink are created. I'm not sure
if this is a bug or a feature, but adding users via adduser(8) or pw(8)
without the directory and symlink in existance results in "mkdir
(/home/xxx): No such file or directory", making the newly created user
account unusable. Therefor I'm suggesting that bsdinstall
creates /usr/home and the /home symlink in any case, regardless if
users are added or not.

Ciao,
Yamagi

--