if_clone.c allows creating multiple interfaces with the same name

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Wed Nov 30 15:00:34 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:28:42 am Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
>   Daan,
>
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 01:07:13AM +0100, Daan Vreeken wrote:
> D> Thanks for the looking into this and for your quick commit. I like your twist
> D> on the patch with the move from the unit bitmap to allocating unit numbers
> D> with alloc_unr(9).
> D>
> D> I do have two comments on the new code though.
> D> Before, in the !wildcard case, ifc_alloc_unit() would return ENOSPC when the
> D> user requested a unit number larger than ifc->ifc_maxunit. Now the function
> D> returns EEXIST in that case because alloc_unr_specific() returns -1 both
> D> when a number is already allocated and when the number exceeds it's limits.
> D> This leads to the somewhat confusing:
> D>
> D>         # ifconfig bridge123456 create
> D>         ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: File exists
> D>
> D> Apart from that I'm a bit worried about the "/* XXXGL: yep, it's a unit leak
> D> */" part of your change. Once a unit number is leaked, there currently seems
> D> to be no way to ever get it back. In a worst case scenario, where the names of
> D> multiple interfaces in a row collides with the numbers alloc_unr() returns, an
> D> entire row of unit numbers could be leaked during the creation of a single
> D> cloned interface.
> D> We have a product where cloned interfaces come and go very frequently. I'd
> D> hate to run out of unit numbers after 'just a few' years of uptime ;-)
> D>
> D> I've created a new patch on top of your change that fixes both of these
> D> problems. Could you have a look at the attached diff?
>
> Thanks, I will work on applying it.
>
> D> > Considering the second part, that adds locking. Unfortunately, right now we
> D> > have numerous races in the network configuration ocde. Many SIOCSsomething
> D> > ioctls can race with each other producing unpredictable results and kernel
> D> > panics. So, running two ifconfig(8) in parallel is a bad idea today. :(
> D> > Your patch with IFNET_NAMING_LOCK() just plumbs one race case: a race
> D> > between two SIOCSIFNAME ioctls. And it doesn't plumb a race between
> D> > SIOCSIFNAME vs SIOCIFCREATE, because IFNET_NAMING_LOCK() is dropped after
> D> > unit allocation, but prior to interface attachement to global interface
> D> > list.
> D>
> D> Are you sure? With the patch in the PR, the relevant code in
> D> ifc_simple_create() would become :

> D> 	IFNET_NAMING_LOCK();
> D> 	err = ifc_alloc_unit(ifc, &unit);
> D> 	if (err != 0) {
> D> 		IFNET_NAMING_UNLOCK();
> D> 		return (err);
> D> 	}
> D>
> D> 	err = ifcs->ifcs_create(ifc, unit, params);
> D> 	IFNET_NAMING_UNLOCK();
> D> 	if (err != 0) {
> D> 		ifc_free_unit(ifc, unit);
> D> 		return (err);
> D> 	}
> D>
> D> The lock is acquired before the call to ifc_alloc_unit().
> D> In the non-error case (e.g. when creating an if_bridge interface) the call
> D> ends up calling bridge_clone_create(), which calls ether_ifattach(), which
> [...]

Hmm, is this much different in effect than:

static struct sx serializer_sx;
SX_SYSINIT(...);

int
foo_ioctl()
{
	sx_xlock(&serializer_sx);

	... any code here

	sx_xunlock(&serializer_sx);
}

?

Using an sx lock is shorter and also allows WITNESS to catch possible cycles
that can be otherwise missed with home-rolled locks.

Also, you should really use 'while (serializer)', not if.  Currently this doesn't
really serialize since you can have this:

- three threads all try to run foo_ioctl()
- first thread doesn't block and sets serializer 1
- next two threads both block
- first thread finishes and does a wakeup
- both threads resume and run the 'any code here' bits in parallel
  (not serialized)

If that is not the desired behavior then you need to use a while().  Also, if
this really is a bug and not the desired behavior it's even more reason to use
existing primitives like sx(9) rather than trying to roll your own locks.

--
John Baldwin