/usr/home vs /home

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Nov 24 12:31:54 UTC 2011

On 11/24/11 10:42, krad wrote:
> On 22 November 2011 13:36, C. P. Ghost <cpghost at cordula.ws> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:30 AM,  <"Thomas Mueller
>> <mueller6727"@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>> But I don't see any advantage to putting /, /usr, and /var on separate
>> partitions.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>
>> Regarding separate /usr and /var: the advantage is that you can
>> keep /usr read-only which is also important for security reasons
>> since modifying system binaries becomes less easy.
>>
>> Furthermore, you can NFS share a read-only /usr among many
>> similar machines, while /var is a per-machine specific read-write
>> area.
>>
>> -cpghost.
>>
>> --
>> Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/
>>

> I always have /var and /tmp on separate file systems than /, but dont
> normally have a separate /usr, bur I have a /usr/local.
>
> I like to keep the /var and /tmp fs separate as they as other are
> mentioned. Therefore they are more prone to corruption in event of the
> power failure. Keeping / separate in this case should make the system more
> likely to reboot. Also it stops application filling up / which can stop you
> logging into the system (I havent seen this issue for year admittedly)
>
> /usr/local is just for tidyness as it keeps base os separate from ports etc
>
> I also have /home on a separate as well to stops users filling up root as
> well.
>
> my zfsroot boxes have this setup as well, but i also add a few reservations
> and quotas.

For my experiences in the past with OpenLDAP, which keeps its databases
by default in /var, I had a lot of inconsistencies triggered due to the
port OpenLDAP itself or DB4. I do not care about who caused the
inconsistency, but after a reboot, the /var filesystem had to be fsck'ed
or was completely trunkated and needed to be reformatted. If this
happens to /var when /var is a part of / as a whole, then good night ...
;-) Sorry for the sloppy statement.
I'd like to know how many big-company-server systems do have separated
partitions and a lucky to have an easy way to repair in compare to home
users with their home boxes using a linux like whole one partition ...
and compared to that the failures and times to repair the filesystem.

Regards,
Oliver