Stop scheduler on panic

mdf at FreeBSD.org mdf at FreeBSD.org
Thu Nov 17 21:02:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Attilio Rao <attilio at freebsd.org> wrote:
> 2011/11/17 Andriy Gapon <avg at freebsd.org>:
>> BTW, it is my opinion that we really should not let the debugger code call
>> mi_switch for any reason.
>
> Yes, I agree with this, this is why the sched_bind() in boot() is
> broken (immagine calling things like doadump from KDB. KDB right now
> can be thought as a first cut of this patch because it does disable
> the CPUs when entering the context, thus, the bug here is that if you
> stop all CPUs including CPU0 and later on you want bind on it you are
> death).

Another patch related to this area we have at $WORK:

 #if defined(SMP)
-       /*
-        * Bind us to CPU 0 so that all shutdown code runs there.  Some
-        * systems don't shutdown properly (i.e., ACPI power off) if we
-        * run on another processor.
-        */
-       thread_lock(curthread);
-       sched_bind(curthread, 0);
-       thread_unlock(curthread);
-       KASSERT(PCPU_GET(cpuid) == 0, ("%s: not running on cpu 0", __func__));
+       /*
+        * sched_bind can't be done reliably inside of panic.  cpu_reset() will
+        * rebind us in any case, more reliably.
+        */
+       if (panicstr == NULL) {
+               /*
+                * Bind us to CPU 0 so that all shutdown code runs there.  Some
+                * systems don't shutdown properly (i.e., ACPI power off) if we
+                * run on another processor.
+                */
+               thread_lock(curthread);
+               sched_bind(curthread, 0);
+               thread_unlock(curthread);
+               KASSERT(PCPU_GET(cpuid) == 0, ("boot: not running on cpu 0"));
+       }
 #endif
        /* We're in the process of rebooting. */
        rebooting = 1;

Cheers,
matthew