[TESTING]: one more boot2 shrinking patch

Roman Divacky rdivacky at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 8 17:39:12 UTC 2011

hi,

this diet patch

        http://lev.vlakno.cz/~rdivacky/boot2-final-diet.patch

includes these changes:

        o       bunch of variables are turned into uint8_t

        o       initial setting of namep[] in lookup() is removed
                as it's only overwritten a few lines down

        o       kname is explicitly initialized in main() as BSS
                in boot2 is not zeroed

        o       the "fmt" dance in load() is removed

        o       buf in printf() is made static to save space

Please test/review this patch. John Baldwin already looked and I booted
it so it should be quite safe. I plan to commit this in a few days unless
problems are found..

thank you! roman

p.s. for those interested - with a few other changes (to llvm, not freebsd) we
do fit within boot2 limit :)