FS errors during unmount after dump'ing

Christian Gusenbauer c47g at gmx.at
Sat Mar 5 16:34:29 UTC 2011

On Saturday 05 March 2011 10:36:40 Kostik Belousov wrote:
> [Added fs, please remove current on reply].
>
> On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 08:51:38AM +0100, Christian Gusenbauer wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Once in a week I backup my PC using amanda (which uses dump(8)).
> > Subsequently unmounting a filesystem (or during shutdown) I get errors
> > like these:
> >
> > handle_workitem_freeblocks: inode 3579904 block count 384
> > handle_workitem_freeblocks: inode 3579962 block count 384
> > /spare: unmount pending error: blocks 768 files 0
> > softdep_waitidle: Failed to flush worklist for 0xc5be2288
> > softdep_waitidle: Failed to flush worklist for 0xc5be2288
> > softdep_waitidle: Failed to flush worklist for 0xc5be2288
> > softdep_waitidle: Failed to flush worklist for 0xc5be2288
> > softdep_waitidle: Failed to flush worklist for 0xc5be2288
> > softdep_waitidle: Failed to flush worklist for 0xc5be2510
> > softdep_waitidle: Failed to flush worklist for 0xc5be2510
> > /data: unmount pending error: blocks 84 files 0
> >
> > Note, I get these messages *only* after dumping filesystems!
> >
> > Is there anything wrong with my filesystems?
> >
> > Any clues?
>
> No clues, you did not provided information even to start looking.
>
> What version of the OS you are using ?
> How do you call dump, in particular, did you specified -L ?
> Are there any hung (unkillable) processes after the issue appeared ?
> Please show all kernel messages, not only the tail of it.

Hi!

I'm running current revision 219265. Amanda calls dump like this (ps ax
output):

2607  ??  DL     0:00.04 dump 0ubLshf 64 1048576 0 - /dev/label/home (dump)

so the -L is specified. There are no hung processes.

I attach a compressed dmesg output. It appears to me, that the
'handle_workitem_freeblocks' message is printed during the backup. The other
messages are printed during shutdown.

Thanks,
Christian.