urtw0: could not allocate USB transfers

Etienne Robillard erob at gthcfoundation.org
Thu Mar 3 11:26:22 UTC 2011

On 03/03/11 02:45 AM, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

>>> Here is your real error in dmesg:

>>> You need to kldload firmware.ko or make sure 'device firmware' is in your
>>> kernel config.
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Many thanks. This explains the change of behavior attempting to kldload
>> runfw.ko
>> without the firmware assist module. :)
>>
>> However I find strange that run(4) requires such a firmware to be preloaded
>> when the rt2870 driver doesn't require it!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

> Maybe that's due to a missing MODULE_DEPEND() line in the .c file of urtw0.
>
> --HPS

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I realize the urtw(4) and the pseudo rt2870 drivers
may be missing a MODULE_DEPEND macro but this issue is not as annoying
than the repeated page faults happening when the card is trying
to reassociate itself with a router.

I also noticed the same (random) page faults with the run(4) driver as
well but since I don't use a driver
requiring a external firmware to be loaded, I would prefer fixing the
errors in the generic
wireless code happening unconditionally with run(4), rt2870, and
possibly urtw(4). Plus,
a external firmware seems not necessary for using at least the TEW-644UB
wireless adapter!

Cheers,

Etienne

--
Etienne Robillard

Company: Green Tea Hackers Club
Occupation: Software Developer (and CEO)
E-mail:     erob at gthcfoundation.org
Work phone: 450-936-2123
Website (Company):  https://gthc.org/
Website (Blog):     https://gthc.org/blog/
PGP public key fingerprint:    F2A9 32EA 8E7C 460F 1728  A1A7 649C 7F17 A086 DDEC

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. -- George Orwell

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy