Opinion on using AMD Phenom II x6 1090t with Gigabyte 890BPA-UD3H and 8GB DDR-3 as a WebServer.

eculp eculp at encontacto.net
Thu Jun 30 14:53:46 UTC 2011

Quoting Dennis Glatting <dg17 at penx.com>:

> On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 07:31 -0500, eculp wrote:
>> I just saw this box that is being promoted as a gaming machine at a
>> great price and am considering it as a web-server.
>>
>> In addition to having no information on the CPU as a server lack of
>> comfort with 6 cores and memory 8GB of memory that I am having a
>> problem with.  I am not a gamer but I have always assumed that a
>> gaming machine needs the most aggressive hardware.  I have also seen
>> this processor with 12 GB rather than 8 which, in my ignorance sounds
>> better.
>>
>> Any opinions and guidance are appreciated.
>>

> I have been moving away from Gigabyte however I do have a similar board:
>
> 	MB GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 RT

This one is GA-890BPA-UD3G that also has RealTek 811D 10/100/1000 Mbit
that I doubt will be a limitation.  I'll stick in another card anyway.
I also like that has is sata3 and usb 3 so it seems to be up to date.

> My key complaint about Gigabyte is the ReatTek Ethernet chips. Realtek
> doesn't publish chip specs and therefore the drivers under FreeBSD/Linux
> are so-so (i.e., they work but not performance optimized and forget
> about anything but the default MTU).
>
> On my board I hate the South Bridge chip, which is useless for RAID.
>
> I am also unable to install VMWare ESXi, my last ditch attempt to find a
> use for my board. There appears to be a hardware incompatibility while
> installing (i.e., not during the probe sequence, rather after that
> sequence then onto installation).

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and point of view.  I'm begining to
think that this may be too much machine but comming down doesn't save
much so I will probably give it a try.

ed