best way to do FreeBSD kernel/userland development on OSX ?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Jun 20 21:55:36 UTC 2011

Hi--

On Jun 20, 2011, at 1:53 PM, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> I'd like to keep the svn checkut outside the disk image but
> unfortunately the default filesystem on osx is case-insensitive
> so i can't do that -- unless someone shows me how to change
> the filesystem conventions.

Default filesystem for OSX is HFS+ Journaled/case-insensitive.  However, you can use hdiutil or DiskUtility to create a case-sensitive partition or filesystem image:

  hdiutil create -size 1gb -fs 'Case-sensitive Journaled HFS+' /tmp/image.dmg

For kernel work, it might be worth using BootCamp to setup a free partition (intended for Windows, but reformat it for FreeBSD) and setup FreeBSD to boot natively.

Regards,
--
-Chuck