rc.d script to load kernel modules

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 12 19:43:11 UTC 2011

On 6/12/2011 12:34 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Gary Palmer<gpalmer at freebsd.org>  wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 02:56:31PM -0400, Jason Hellenthal wrote:
>>> So technically here a ZFS only install is lacking the speed in which
>>> modules are loaded. I would prefer to find out why and fix that before
>>> we go about adding new functionality to rcNG.
>>
>> As I believe Doug has already said, its not just loading modules from ZFS.
>> In my experience, loading modules via loader.conf from UFS on i386 is
>> significantly slower than once the kernel has booted on both of my systems
>> here.  I think I've tried it and its not a disk thing as its slow loading from
>> flash media also.
>
>      Dumb questions:

0. Does anyone actually read what I write?

>      1. Has anyone benchmarked the two methods in parallel? If so
> what's the delta?

As I've said several times now ... Loading modules in the boot loader
takes an average of 2 seconds per module. Loading 6 of them from disk
happens so fast I can't read the probe messages in real time. (I.e.,
less than 1 second total for all 6.)

>      2. Has anyone tried to determine why it is that way?

Repeating myself again ... read the threads on -arch and the svn list.
There you will find the answers from people a lot smarter than I. Short
version, it's a known issue that cannot be changed.

			-- OK Go