mount root from zfs fails under current with "error 6"

Michael Reifenberger mike at reifenberger.com
Sat Jun 4 13:40:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
>> maybe I found something:
>> After setting vfs.zfs.debug=1 I got two new verbose bootlogs:
>>  	http://people.freebsd.org/~mr/boot_fail2.txt
>>  	http://people.freebsd.org/~mr/boot_success2.txt
>>
>> As you can see, in the failing case ZFS tries to attach to ada[0123]
>> whereas in the succeeding case ZFS attaches to ada[0123]p3 (which are the
>> correct devices)
>
> Can you try setting kern.geom.part.check_integrity=0 ?

Preparing a new r222654 kernel and booting with kern.geom.part.check_integrity=0
didn't cure anything.
See http://people.freebsd.org/~mr/boot_3.txt for a "boot -v" using
 	set kern.geom.label.debug=1
additionaly

But reverting /sys/geom to r221381 allows to boot.
See http://people.freebsd.org/~mr/boot_4.txt for a "boot -s" using
 	set vfs.zfs.debug=1
 	set kern.geom.debugflags=4
 	set kern.geom.label.debug=1
additionaly.

So the problem seems to be related to the recent geom changes...

Bye/2
---
Michael Reifenberger
Michael at Reifenberger.com