Trying to install current from a memory stick and then a DVD and got a new and strange installer.

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Mon Jul 25 06:51:15 UTC 2011

On 25/07/2011 06:01, Freddie Cash wrote:
> Thank goodness. The worst thing about sysinstall was that it tried to
> be a Swiss Army knife doing everything, yet not doing any one thing
> well. It made a royal mess of rc.conf if you tried to use it to
> configure a system. Usually the first time someone mentions they use
> it for post-install configuration, the recommendation is to stop doing
> that! An os installer should do just that: install the os and nothing
> else.

I tend to disagree with this. For people unfamiliar with FreeBSD using
it as a systems administration tool can be really useful, at least until
they understand where all the various configuration files are and how
they work.  Having recently switched to opensuse from Ubuntu I know I
find the YaST tool incredibly useful, and probably wouldn't have
continued using SuSE if it hadn't been there. Its installer mode is one
of the better installers I've come across, and lets you fine-tune the
configuration.

--
Bruce Cran