Heavy I/O blocks FreeBSD box for several seconds

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 12 07:49:16 UTC 2011

on 12/07/2011 00:48 Arnaud Lacombe said the following:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 5:14 PM, Andriy Gapon <avg at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> on 11/07/2011 23:33 Arnaud Lacombe said the following:
>>> For the record, I would like to see enforced public review for _every_
>>> patch *before* it is checked in, as a strong rule. gcc system is
>>> particularly interesting. But it is not likely to happen in FreeBSD
>>> where FreeBSD committers are clearly more free than other at
>>> checking-in un-publicly-reviewed stuff (especially _bad_ stuff).
>>>
>>> This would of course apply even to long-time committers, no matter how
>>> it hurt their ego (which I definitively do not care about).
>>
>> Have you just volunteered to review all of the patches that I would like to
>> commit?  And are you prepared to take responsibility for quality of your reviews?
>> I am sure that other developers will gladly accept your offer too.
>>
> _No-one_ can do all the reviews, especially not me (on a purely
> technical level).

OK, I see, so your plan heavily depends on other people doing something
(actually, a lot) according to your ideals.  I see how realistic this suggestion is.

This is a volunteer project.  So, people who want to get something done usually
start with themselves, not with telling other people what they should do.

> ACK must come from subsystem maintainers. Having
> public review would allow the community review, which is now just not
> possible today.

So far I see that a number of requests for review posted to public mailing lists
is greater than a number of actual reviews done.
Also, notifications of all changes to the src tree are posted to public mailing
lists, so post-commit reviews can also be easily performed.  Not seeing too many
of those, though.

--
Andriy Gapon