ZFS boot fails with two pools

Volodymyr Kostyrko c.kworr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 20:09:02 UTC 2011

06.07.2011 18:44, Berczi Gabor wrote:
> Greets,
>
> For some reason FreeBSD can't boot automatically:
>
> ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
> ZFS: can't read MOS object directory
> Can't find root filesystem - giving up
> ZFS: unexpected object set type 0
> ZFS: unexpected object set type 0
>
> FreeBSD/x86 boot
> Default: data:/boot/kernel/kernel
> boot:
> ZFS: unexpected object set type 0
>
> FreeBSD/x86 boot
> Default: data:/boot/kernel/kernel
> boot:
>
> I have two pools, pool2 which is a mirrored zpool, and data being a raid-z pool. Note how the default should be "pool2:/boot/zfsloader". How can I fix this?

1. Check that pools have up-to-date boot code.

2. Try to convince bios to boot from the disk of pool2.

3. You can possibly try deploying /boot/boot0 MBR selector code over
disks of data pool. Supplied boot0 code can be used to choose another
disk to jump to it during boot process and will remember the last choice.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.